Last week we learned how to write strong leads. Strong leads often include a small action, dialogue, or a description of a setting. We tried out these strategies in class, and each student wrote three different leads for his or her story. Madison wrote about her first time ice skating. Here are her three leads...
1. "Click, click," the skates went as I put them on. I can do this, I told myself. I waddled out to the nice. I took a deep breath and stepped on the ice.
2. There I was - staring at the ice as I walked closer and closer. You can do this Madison, I told myself nervously. I put my foot on the ice, then the other. I gripped on the side. I was ready.
3. My heart was beating fast, then faster and faster. "Aren't you coming?" said my brother. I was speechless. I had to do this. It was the only way I could learn how to do this. I closed my eyes, then I opened them again. I stepped on the ice. I was ready for this.
Can you see all the ways she used small actions, dialogue, and setting? Which one do you like the best? Which one "grabs" you as a reader and makes you want to read on? I'm sure Madison would love your feedback.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Madison's Leads
Posted by
Mr. Brown
at
5:55 PM
Labels: leads, narrative writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment