Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Virginia's Poetry

There were so many wonderful poems that weren't shared at Brownbuck's Bistro - there just wasn't enough time. As I was reading through the rough drafts of our students' poetry this evening, I found two by Virginia that I thought were wonderful. These are two she didn't include in her final project. I thought our blog would be a great place to share these. Click on the "Comments" link at the end of this post to share your thoughts about this poem. I know Virginia would be thrilled to hear what you think.

Book
The world spills out in words
They settle into open minds
When the book closes, silence returns
to the mind
Just reopen the pages


Window
Clear as an untouched pool
Another eye to look out into the world
Out side me.
It brings light and peace
Invisible
Invisible
Invisible
A shortcut to anothe world -
Outside mine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Virginia, these are wonderful! I love the first one, especially "the world spills out in words." I can almost picture a world -- of Hogwarts, or a wardrobe, or a house on the prairie -- tumbling out.
And "Window" is just as moving. Lovely image at the beginning -- "clear as an untouched pool." I like the repetition of "invisible" too.
I hope you are keeping a journal and writing a lot.
Dula

Anonymous said...

Virginia, I think you've caught the essence of both books and windows. I love the line about words-- "they settle into open minds." That means at least a couple of different things to me.
And I wonder what you are thinking about that world outside the window, outside of your life . . .
Such a few words to bring so many thoughts. I'm so happy I got to read both of these.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Dula and Chris said it all - I want to thank Mr Brown for bringing out the imaginations and joy and splendor that all of the kids show in these podcasts and videos - and of course for finding these poems of Virginia's - just another indication of the care and encouragement and inspiration that go on in Room 241. Yes, Virginia, I LOVE the poems. Grandma

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your poetry is really incredible. We really like how you described words spilling out from the pages into our minds.

Room 241 (While Challenge is Out)

Anonymous said...

I like the invisible part. Cousin Joe

Anonymous said...

I like the pool part. Cousin Eleanor

Anonymous said...

Virginia oh what wonderful! poems you had! They're just so beautiful. I'm starting to cry! Boo hoo! Oh the tears of happiness!
Caroline Zeller